This is a section about some miscellaneous facts about Sailor Moon, as well as some of my deductions. If you have something to contribute to this or you want to make any corrections, e-mail me!
- Note the identities that the Sailor Anima Mates took on: Sailor Iron Mouse took on the identity of Chuuko Nezu. Mouse in Japanese is nezumi. Drop the mi and you get her last name. Sailor Lead Crow took on the Identity Akane Karasuma. Crow in Japanese is karasu. Drop the ma and you get her last name too. Sailor Tin Nyanko takes on the identity Suzu Nyanko. Suzu is Japanese for bell, and Sailor Tin Nyanko wears bells on her fuku.
- Pallapalla, Cerecere, Junjun, and Vesves are named after the 4 largest asteroids discovered. The asteroids, in accordance to the names of the Amazoness Quartet, are Pallas, Ceres, Juno, and Vesta.
- Rei's crows Deimos and Phobos are also the names of the two moons of Mars.
- The 9 main senshi (Mercury, Venus, Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto), as well as Mamoru have last names corresponding to their respective planets with the exception of Venus. She is named after the Roman goddess of love, Venus. The reason for this is because Sailor Venus/Minako Aino were created before Sailor Moon in the Sailor V manga. Though some of the names & planets have different pronunciations, the kanji is the same. Here is a list:
||¿åÀ± & ¿åÌî
||¶âÀ± & °¦Ìî
||ÃÏ & ÃÏ¾ì
||·î & ·îÌî
||²ÐÀ± & ²ÐÌî
||ÌÚÀ± & ÌÚÌî
||ÅÚÀ± & ÅÚèÎ
||Å·²¦À± & Å·²¦
||³¤²¦À± & ³¤²¦
||Ì½²¦À± & Ì½²¦
- In Roman mythology, Saturn is the god of agriculture, symbolized with a scythe. Notice how the top of Sailor Saturn's Silence Glaive looks like a scythe?
- In the N.A. dub of Sailor Moon, Usagi's name is Serena. One of the seas on the moon is the Sea of Selenity/Serenity.
- In the N.A. dub, Chibiusa's name is Rini, a shortened version of Serena.
- Luna, Diana, and Artemis all mean moon. In Latin, moon is Luna. In Greek mythology, Artemis is the goddess of the moon. In Roman mythology, Diana is the goddess of the moon.
- The henchmen of the Dark Kingdom are named after gemstones: Jadeite, Nephrite, Kunzite, Zoisite, and even Malachite.
- Other villians named after gemstones/minerals: Kaolinite, Zirconia, Tiger Eye, Daimond, Esmeraude (Emerald), Sapphire, and Rubeus.
- Luna's password is about a rabbit on the moon pounding mochi (rice cake). Many Asian legends tell a story about a rabbit on the moon pounding on rice cakes. And does anyone remember that phenomenon about how there was an image of a rabbit on the moon?
- Other jokes associated with this: Usagi's name (means rabbit in English), Usagi having a lot of rabbit items (backpack, jacket), her hair looks like rabbit ears, and ironically, her least favorite food is carrots! Her favorite animal: a rabbit, of course!
- Setsuna favorite food is o-cha, or Japanese green tea, and her hair is green too.
- With the exception of Sailor Uranus and Saturn, the senshi have attacks based on their names and/or respective planets. Moon, Mars, Neptune, Pluto have attacks based on their last names & planets because they are closely related. Jupiter and Venus have attacks based on their planets or their last names, and Mercury has attacks based on her last name.
- The Sailor Anime Mates/Metal Knights are named after the 4 most common metals on the Earth: Iron, Tin, Aluminum, and Lead.
- The seiyuu (voice actor/actress) for Fiore and the Kisenian flower from the Sailor Moon R movie are the same seiyuu for Ail and An in the Sailor Moon R series. Also, the full name of Fiore is Fioreail, and the flower is the Kisenian flower. Ail & An.
- Is there a significance to the search for mirrors in Sailor Moon Supers? Yes there is. Sailor Moon creator Naoko Takeuchi has a fascination for mirrors.
- In Greek Mythology, there is a legend speaking about how the moon goddess Selene fell in love with a youth named Endymion from Earth. Princess Selenity is from the moon, and Prince Endymion is from the Earth.
- Endymion is also the name of one of the craters on the moon.
- Mercury is the Roman God of commerce and science. Ami is the senshi who would be most associated with sciences.
- Jupiter is the Roman god of lightning. Sailor Jupiter's first 3 attacks dealt with lightning. Neptune is the Roman god of the sea. Sailor Neptune's attacks dealt with the sea. Venus is the Roman Goddess of love. Sailor Venus's last two attacks deal with love.
- Coincidentially, Michiru's, Haruka's, and Setsuna's last names mean the God of the planet they are associated with. Kaiou is Japanese for Neptune, the Roman God of seas. Tenou is Japanese for Uranus, the Roman God of the sky. Meiou is Japanese for Pluto, the Roman God of Death and Time.
- Helios is the Greek God of the sun. He fell in love with Chibiusa, who is Chibi Moon. The sun and the moon...
- Of all the senshi, Sailor Mercury and Sailor Neptune are the only ones whose favorite gemstone match their birthstone. These two senshi, coincidentally, are the senshi most associated with water.
- What is Usagi's birthstone? The moonstone, of course.
- There is a sailor senshi associated with the 5 Asian elements (water, metal, wood, earth, fire). On the respective order of the elements, they are Sailor Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars.
- Ever wonder why the senshi don't fight crime? Tokyo has one of the world's lowest crime rate. And such a big population! New Yorkers have something to learn from Tokyoites...
- The sword, mirror, and jewel are the three imperial symbols in Japanese mythology. Sailor Uranus carries the Space Sword, Sailor Neptune carries the Deep Aqua Mirror, and Sailor Pluto carries the Garnet Orb, a jewel.
- For Sailor Tin Nyanko, Nyanko is a kiddie way of saying cat. It is make by combining nya, which is the way Japanese translate a cat's noise (meow) and neko, which is cat in English.
- Pallapalla is the only one of the Amazoness Quartet whose asteroid is not named after a Roman goddesses. Pallas is another name for Athena.
- There is a "hidden scene" in the episode when Kooan turns good. When she bumps into Yuuichirou in the beginning, somewhere in the "explosion" there is a picture of a super-deformed Zoisite, with her name spelled out in hiragana! It only lasts for 2 frames.
- In Sailor Venus's first episode when the fake Sailor Moon saves the people falling from the building in the beginning, when they focus on Usagi and Mako-chan, you can see Minako in the crowd for a few seconds.
- In the even-numbered seasons of Sailor Moon (SMR & Supers), the 4 inner senshi (excluding Sailor Moon) had a rival of similar colors. Here is a table:
||SM R rival
||SM Supers rival
- Ten'ou vs. Tenoh/Kaiou vs. Kaioh/Meiou vs Meioh. So what is the proper spelling of the last names of Haruka, Michiru, and Setsuna? It depends on the situation. Some people put the second spelling for phonetic reason. The 1st spelling is for how to write it. The second spelling is how to say it. That way, you wouldn't say Tenou with an "oo" like in the word "blue."